furryforestcritter

Warning: Weirdness and personal details contained within. Mostly weirdness. You've been warned.

Monday, September 12, 2005

It just wasn't the llama's day

I was out at the farm this weekend. I got to help set up a temporary mini bin for some duram yesterday morning. Aka a pile of wheat on the ground, with a bit of wood and plastic to try to make it look legitimate. Basically we bolted sheets of plywood into a circle, then put plastic down so the grain wouldn't be sitting on the ground. Yesterday wasn't the best day for playing with plastic, as it was a bit windy. So my sister-in-law, nephew, niece and I got to lie on top of the plastic while my brother dumped shovelfuls of wheat around us. It was kind of like trying to lay on a parachute while someone was using it. I was very impressed with my niece, she was much more stationary than usual.

Then there was the llama fiasco. My mom got a call in the morning saying the 2-year old male llama was in the neighbour's yard, and they were trying to lure it into their barn. Either it got chased out by the 3 large stray dogs hovering around, or the dominant male of the herd got jealous. At any rate, dad spent about 2 hours chasing it down using the quad, which isn't at the top of his list of things to do during harvest. The llama didn't want to go back in. I guess he'd had enough of Freddie, the llama leader. I helped chase Freddie and the rest of the herd into the barnyard, but it didn't help. Finally dad had to shoot the littler one. I blame this on Freddie. He's done this before. You'd think my parents would get rid of him. But no, they have something against genetic defects, seeing as how all the rest of the herd is descended from Freddie. And here I thought farmers were supposed to be all about incest.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:46 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That farmin' is a heck of a way of life...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home