furryforestcritter

Warning: Weirdness and personal details contained within. Mostly weirdness. You've been warned.

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Get it off my chest

Stuff has been happening, I guess. I need to find a job (well, I don't have to yet, but it would probably behoove me to do so before I run out of money). Unfortunately, as I discovered a couple days ago when I went to revise my resume, I didn't save a copy of my updated one from the last job. You know, the one that had all the new stuff I learned at the previous job on it, the one that detailed all the software I used and the tasks I performed. And since I've been away from there for 2 months now, I remember very little of what I actually did. Put me in that job again and I'd have it figured out within 10 minutes, but here, now? I can't even remember the names of some of the people I worked with. I have the memory of a gnat. A stupid gnat.

The last few days I've been painting doors and trim, and this afternoon I'm painting the second room. Last night I helped Jay put up the drop ceiling and the door frame. There are only a few more things we need to do on these rooms, so the plan is to finish them by the end of Jay's next days off so Jay's sister can move downstairs. We're hoping it'll help with the tension.

It's Jay's sister. She's rather demanding, and gets angry when things don't go her way. I'd be more okay with this if she didn't bully Jay into doing what he wants. I give suggestions and preferences, but I'm not too insulted if Jay doesn't follow them because, hey, it's his house. Not so with her. This time it was because Jay picked a paint colour for the new spare room and I put a coat of it on the walls. We had a bit of a mini-crisis, there was a blow up and a long angry letter, slamming of doors, etc.

In my opinion, it's not exactly fair or mature of her to throw temper tantrums when she isn't in control of everything, to go around slamming doors and avoiding us and refusing to speak to us. Dude, it's not cool. It's understandable in 5-year-olds, albeit not terribly acceptable, but definitely not when you're almost 30. Grow up. It was over paint colour, this time. But it's been happening once or twice a week since I moved in. And I'm getting tired of it.

This is a big reason I haven't been posting. I don't know how to handle this. Jay and I can discuss stuff reasonably, compromise, or just agree to disagree. But all the logic in the world means nothing when his sister decides it's not what she wants. And he gives in to her every time. As far as I can see, she's doing her best to control him, and me through Jay. She wants in on every minor household decision. I don't want to have to deal with that. It makes me angry, and it's not how Jay and I operate. The big reason I like being around Jay is that we can find a happy medium without fighting, we're both pretty easy-going.

At least, I am until someone starts pushing me around. I get stubborn when people try to push me into doing what they want, without regards to my opinion. And the more I get pushed, the more I refuse to go. I think that people should be able to make their own decisions once they're adults. I may not agree with every decision, but that's tough, that's life. It's part of growing up. And his sister doesn't seem to have learned that.

We've talked about it and things are okay now, but I keep expecting things to blow up again. I don't deal well living under someone's thumb. And I won't stand by and watch her manipulate him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home